Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Coconut-Almond Protein Snack

Do you ever have those Friday nights when you want to stay home and be a "homebody?"

Well, to my dismay I was craving sweets but did not want to leave the house.  I frantically searched the web for healthy desserts but I didn't have all the ingredients to make my first choice, raw fudge... But I had this, which seemed like enough.

Creamy Almond Butter
Coconut Oil
Whey Protein (non GMO, no additives, no artificial sweeteners)
Unsweetened Coconut flakes
Soy milk


So I experimented and my homebody sweet yet healthy snack turned out absolutely fantastic!  It's very simple and delicious.  It satisfied my sweet tooth.  I made a large batch intending to snack on it throughout the week... but I gobbled it up in two days!  ...This is why I can't keep sweets in my house.

Anyways, this is what I did... 

I mixed the following:


  • Half a container of Jason's Maple Almond Butter
  • 2 spoonfuls of room temperature coconut oil (it mixed well without warming)
  • A few splashes of soy milk
  • Half a scoop of non GMO, non artificial sweetener, vanilla whey protein (substitute for soy protein if you're vegan)
  • If the mixture is too thick to stir add more soy milk and a little more protein powder (you want it to be thick but soft enough to stir without crumbling)
  • Finally, mix in the unsweetened coconut flakes.

I made them into bite size balls then rolled them into the coconut flakes for decoration.  But it's not necessary.  



In fact, I became impatient and put the rest into a pan to make bars instead!  And sprinkled coconut flakes on top to make it pretty, of course.



I prefer these yummy treats frozen because I like how it's crunchy yet smooth! It does not get hard--you won't crack a tooth, I promise! However, the refrigerator is fine as well.  Just make sure you do one or the other... because of the milk!  You don't want it to spoil.


Last night I made this same snack but with Earth Balance's Peanut Butter & Coconut spread.  It's Peanut Butter mixed with Coconut oil so you get to skip a step.  And instead of using Soy milk, I used unsweetened almond milk.  I think I prefer this best because it's not as sweet.  Jason's Almond Butter has maple sugar as a sweetener which is why my first batch was a dessert that I couldn't stop eating!

So you can make it however you like.  I prefer frozen bite size balls... You could add cinnamon, chopped nuts, seeds, dark chocolate chips... I haven't experienced that much with it.  But if you do, please let me know what you've tried with it!  

I hope you enjoy my simple yet delicious discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment