Saturday, January 12, 2013

Vegan Fat-Free Banana Bread

My roommate and I exchanged gifts this year.  I met her on craigslist and we hit it off but we still haven't known each other very long so I just stuck to something simple: A set of nail polish and a small book from urban outfitters.  She couldn't think of anything for me so she asked me to make a list which I didn't mind because I got exactly what I've been eying the past month or so, The Everything Vegan Cookbook.

VEGAN FAT-FREE BANANA BREAD - SUCCESS
The first item I chose to make is banana bread.  The recipe is simple and included minimal ingredients.  I made one change: I used half the amount of sugar it called for.  I know it looks "blah" in my photo but after I took this photo the bread was still warm from the oven so I brushed honey on it and it looked gorgeous!  It was also very tasty too.  I ate this for breakfast with a bit of honey.  Mmm. 


TAKE 2: VEGAN FAT-FREE BANANA BREAD - FAIL
This second batch I also used half the amount of sugar... which may have been a mistake because I added almond butter and chopped almonds into the batter.  It was no where near as good as the original recipe.  It needed to be sweeter and perhaps could use more almond butter or bananaa?  It was very bland.  It seems as if the almond butter canceled out the taste of itself and the banana.  It makes me wonder if I would have had better results with peanut butter.

Oh, well... It's still fun to experiment.


It may look pretty but it isn't quite palatable!

Below is the original, delicious recipe.

INGREDIENTS
4 ripe bananas 
1/3 cup soy milk
2/3 cup sugar (I used less)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Step One: Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lightly grease a loaf pan.
Step Two: Mix together the bananas, soy milk, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
Step Three: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking poser, baking soda, and salt.
Step Four: Combine the flour mixture with the banana mixture just until smooth
Step Five: Spread batter in loaf pan and sprinkle the top with cinnamon.  Bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

...See I told you it was simple!  
And it's only 237 calories for 1/8th of a loaf... ZERO fat! Yup, zip-zip, nada!



No comments:

Post a Comment